Bassingbourn add first-ever Cambridgeshire Junior Cup to another promotion season
- Credit: Archant
Bassingbourn completed another memorable season by adding the Cambs Junior Challenge Cup to their third promotion in four seasons.
The Recreation Ground-based football club will play next season in CCL Kershaw Senior B and the 3-0 win over Bar Hill Res was the perfect cherry on top of the cake for Geoff Mills’s side.
It was tight early on with Bar Hill edging things and they should have taken the lead on 30 minutes but Bass keeper Ben Cullingford made a wonderful full-stretch save to stop a penalty.
And in the second half Bass cut loose.
A quadruple substitution saw Sam Hill open the scoring from the edge of the box and one of the replacements, Stuart Cooke, bagged a superb solo effort for number two.
You may also want to watch:
But the goal of the game was the last one.
Rob Dyke received the ball on the left, cut inside beating two players and then unleashed an unstoppable shot beyond the keeper.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 3 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 4 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 6 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 9 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 10 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?