Bassingbourn leapfrog Chishill
Promotion race wide open after weekend
Great Chishill 2
BIS Division 2A
GREAT CHISHILL paid the price for a sloppy start on Saturday, as local rivals Bassingbourn leapfrogged them in the table.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors were ahead inside five minutes after a quick break down the left and a confident finish from close range. The lead was doubled after 15 minutes with a smartly-taken half volley from a right-wing cross. The hosts had been caught cold and had yet to threaten Bassingbourn’s goal, and things went from bad to worse as they conceded a third before half time, through another tidy finish from close range.
The hosts’ only effort of note had come from a Matt Graver cross that Liam Henderson headed narrowly wide.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 5 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 6 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 7 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 8 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 9 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 10 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
However, Chishill were resurgent in the early stages of the second half and grabbed a goal when Lee Smith sent Gary Radford through who blasted his team back into the game. Minutes later, a comeback looked on as Smith was fouled in the area and he picked himself up to convert the penalty. But as they piled numbers forward in search of an equaliser, Chishill were caught out again by a brilliant Bassingbourn counter attack and the fourth goal shattered their hopes.
Bassingbourn’s ‘keeper made a great save to prevent Radford from close range, before a late penalty, conceded by Elliot Drury, was converted to seal a deserved win for the visitors, and keep the race for promotion wide open.
Great Chishill: Fidler, Hicks, E Drury, Bennett, Cockburn, Graver, J Drury, Edey, Henderson, Smith, Radford. Subs: Kew, Boulter.