Bassingbourn close in on league summit after Eaton Socon A victory
- Credit: Archant
Bassingbourn sit just four points off leaders Melbourn in the race for the Newmarket Motor Company Division 3A title after beating Eaton Socon A 3-1 on Saturday.
In their first home game in eight weeks, Bass showed no signs of nerves and took the lead in the fifth minute.
John Dunden’s dipping 20-yard drive was too good for the Socon custodian.
The visitors struggled to get into the game and it was soon 2-0 when Kerry Chaffey got on the end of Dunden’s cross. Bass continued to play their best football of the season and just before half-time, Danny Price made it 3-0.
Against the run of play, Socon took a chance with 20 minutes to go to make it 3-1.
You may also want to watch:
Socon continued to rally but Bass looked in no danger of losing the three points.
- 1 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 2 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 3 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 4 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 5 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 6 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 9 Socially-distanced festival is a welcome return to pre-pandemic good times
- 10 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs