Barlow Sets Up Watford Semi
Tring Athletic 0 Royston Town Ladies 1 A HERTS County Cup semi-final encounter with Watford Ladies awaits Royston Town after an impressive victory on Sunday. The Crows set up the exciting fixture after seeing off Tring Athletic, where Gemma Barlow s st
Tring Athletic 0 Royston Town Ladies 1
A HERTS County Cup semi-final encounter with Watford Ladies awaits Royston Town after an impressive victory on Sunday.
The Crows set up the exciting fixture after seeing off Tring Athletic, where Gemma Barlow's stunning volley was enough to see Royston through.
And the visitors got off to a slow start, with Tring mounting a series of lively attacks that kept the Royston defence under pressure.
You may also want to watch:
But after squandering three good chances, the game began to turn in Royston's favour with an excellent move involving Clare Ratty and Marie Miller setting up a chance for Emma Chaffey to break the deadlock.
However, the defining moment came five minutes before the interval when Miller was called upon to make an outstanding last ditch tackle that denied Tring a clear chance on goal after keeper Amy Walker had already made one brilliant save.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
In the second half Royston came out fighting and within minutes they began to dominate with Sharon Pinner creating chances for both Wendy Webster and Victoria Foulger.
And after a spell of possession, The Crows finally broke the deadlock when a corner from the right was cleared into the path of Chaffey, and after an intelligent pass into Gemma Barlow, the defender swivelled with her back to goal and hit home a splendid strike into the top corner of the net.
From then on it was all Royston, who would have increased their lead if not for some excellent work by the Tring goalkeeper.
Royston manager Kevin Foulger said: "I was very pleased with our second half performance and Gemma's goal was one of the best I have seen in a long while!"
Royston will host last year's winners Watford Ladies, who saw off Hitchin Hearts 9-0, on Sunday, February 17.