Barley shock leaders
WITH the club s 125th anniversary on the horizon, Barley celebrated in style with a convincing win against Junior 1 South leaders Great Chishill. Chishill s defeat saw Linton take over at the top. Jamie Walters (15) and Jason Busby-Mitchell (15) started w
WITH the club's 125th anniversary on the horizon, Barley celebrated in style with a convincing win against Junior 1 South leaders Great Chishill.
Chishill's defeat saw Linton take over at the top.
Jamie Walters (15) and Jason Busby-Mitchell (15) started well for Barley and looked comfortable until Walters edged a ball to Brunt who made a good catch at slip.
When Busby-Mitchell was bowled by Manning, it was then down to Brian Symes (30), pictured above, and man-of-the-match Chris Markham (54) to push Barley on.
You may also want to watch:
Mat Chandler and skipper Chris Allan should have made more of the Chishill attack.
However, Andy Hunt (24), Paddy McMahon (12), Michael Ross (8 not out) and an effervescent Keith Markham (23 not out) did enough to see Barley to a respectable 209-8 off their 40 overs, despite a fine spell of leg spin from Tom Fagg (4-39).
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Herts libraries service could be transferred to public service mutual
- 7 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 8 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 9 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 10 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
Chishill were always behind the required rate and found the parsimonious Barley openers and enthusiastic fielders hard to break down.
Peter Chuck with 1-30 off 10 overs and Ross 2-12 off 10 gave Chishill's Brunt and Harris limited opportunities.
Superb diving catches by Markham and Chuck were backed up by excellent change bowling from Mat Chandler and Symes.
Last week's man-of-the-match Chandler then took four wickets again for 47 runs off his 10 overs and Symes took 2-47 off his 10.
In the end Great Chishill reached 144-9 off their 40 overs, with only skipper Paul Drury (36) looking comfortable.
Barley Captain Chris Allan said: "We recorded an excellent win that knocked Great Chishill off the top of the league and hopefully it has helped us push on for a high position come the end of the season.