Barley shock leaders
WITH the club s 125th anniversary on the horizon, Barley celebrated in style with a convincing win against Junior 1 South leaders Great Chishill. Chishill s defeat saw Linton take over at the top. Jamie Walters (15) and Jason Busby-Mitchell (15) started w
WITH the club's 125th anniversary on the horizon, Barley celebrated in style with a convincing win against Junior 1 South leaders Great Chishill.
Chishill's defeat saw Linton take over at the top.
Jamie Walters (15) and Jason Busby-Mitchell (15) started well for Barley and looked comfortable until Walters edged a ball to Brunt who made a good catch at slip.
When Busby-Mitchell was bowled by Manning, it was then down to Brian Symes (30), pictured above, and man-of-the-match Chris Markham (54) to push Barley on.
Mat Chandler and skipper Chris Allan should have made more of the Chishill attack.
However, Andy Hunt (24), Paddy McMahon (12), Michael Ross (8 not out) and an effervescent Keith Markham (23 not out) did enough to see Barley to a respectable 209-8 off their 40 overs, despite a fine spell of leg spin from Tom Fagg (4-39).
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 5 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 6 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 7 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 8 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 9 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 10 Former heavyweight boxing champ to support hospice with charity dinner
Chishill were always behind the required rate and found the parsimonious Barley openers and enthusiastic fielders hard to break down.
Peter Chuck with 1-30 off 10 overs and Ross 2-12 off 10 gave Chishill's Brunt and Harris limited opportunities.
Superb diving catches by Markham and Chuck were backed up by excellent change bowling from Mat Chandler and Symes.
Last week's man-of-the-match Chandler then took four wickets again for 47 runs off his 10 overs and Symes took 2-47 off his 10.
In the end Great Chishill reached 144-9 off their 40 overs, with only skipper Paul Drury (36) looking comfortable.
Barley Captain Chris Allan said: "We recorded an excellent win that knocked Great Chishill off the top of the league and hopefully it has helped us push on for a high position come the end of the season.