Barley shock leaders
WITH the club s 125th anniversary on the horizon, Barley celebrated in style with a convincing win against Junior 1 South leaders Great Chishill. Chishill s defeat saw Linton take over at the top. Jamie Walters (15) and Jason Busby-Mitchell (15) started w
WITH the club's 125th anniversary on the horizon, Barley celebrated in style with a convincing win against Junior 1 South leaders Great Chishill.
Chishill's defeat saw Linton take over at the top.
Jamie Walters (15) and Jason Busby-Mitchell (15) started well for Barley and looked comfortable until Walters edged a ball to Brunt who made a good catch at slip.
When Busby-Mitchell was bowled by Manning, it was then down to Brian Symes (30), pictured above, and man-of-the-match Chris Markham (54) to push Barley on.
Mat Chandler and skipper Chris Allan should have made more of the Chishill attack.
However, Andy Hunt (24), Paddy McMahon (12), Michael Ross (8 not out) and an effervescent Keith Markham (23 not out) did enough to see Barley to a respectable 209-8 off their 40 overs, despite a fine spell of leg spin from Tom Fagg (4-39).
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 3 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 4 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 5 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 6 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 7 Little Seedlings workshops to teach budding gardeners this summer
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 10 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge view portrait of themselves at Fitzwilliam Museum
Chishill were always behind the required rate and found the parsimonious Barley openers and enthusiastic fielders hard to break down.
Peter Chuck with 1-30 off 10 overs and Ross 2-12 off 10 gave Chishill's Brunt and Harris limited opportunities.
Superb diving catches by Markham and Chuck were backed up by excellent change bowling from Mat Chandler and Symes.
Last week's man-of-the-match Chandler then took four wickets again for 47 runs off his 10 overs and Symes took 2-47 off his 10.
In the end Great Chishill reached 144-9 off their 40 overs, with only skipper Paul Drury (36) looking comfortable.
Barley Captain Chris Allan said: "We recorded an excellent win that knocked Great Chishill off the top of the league and hopefully it has helped us push on for a high position come the end of the season.