Barley lose for second time this season
BARLEY I lost for only the second time this season in a close game against Bar Hill at the weekend.
With an outfield akin a hay meadow and an under-prepared wicket, Barley were put into bat by Bar Hill skipper Mark Thompson who was delighted to offer his bowlers the new ball.
The unpredictable wicket saw Martin Beedell out for a duck as he dollied up a catch off only his second ball faced. Chris Allan also fell for a duck when he was brilliantly caught on the boundary off Craig Driver – the pick of the bowlers who finished with 2-17 runs off his 10 overs.
Jamie Walters chanced his arm with several boundaries before a rush of blood saw him caught off Dickinson for an excellent 51.
In-form Ben Howland carried on Walters’ good work with a well-crafted innings but was finally stumped for 75 off the penultimate ball.
While he scored consistently, his batting partners didn’t fare so well and Richard Wilson was caught behind but for just 3.
Brian Symes struck two fine 4s over his shoulder before being bowled by Sam Wilson for 12.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 3 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 4 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 5 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 6 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 7 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 8 Citizens Advice: Your rights should anything get lost or delayed in the post
- 9 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
- 10 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
Chris Markham was caught out for 1 playing a wayward shot leaving Jason Busby-Mitchell and Nick Butler both 2* and Barley finished on 159-8 off their 40 overs.
In reply, Bar Hill looked vulnerable as Wilson (3-30) dismissed Stanford for 8 helped by a brilliant catch from Leigh Stewart and had Dickinson caught and bowled for 16.
Symes (1-28) trapped Howard lbw for 4 while Haydon Volkes (2-42) had Driver caught for 25 and Bar Hill’s best player Perera was caught for 43 with another superb catch by Stewart.
Butler (1-26) then dismissed Thompson before Beedell turned the screw by taking another wicket.
In the end James Orvis finished with 21* and Martin Cullum (4*) saw Bar Hill home with just one over left.
Barley face Cambourne next week in the hope of keeping touch with Granta and Madingley at the top of the table.