Barley come as Great shock to Shelford
Barley 252-6 Great Shelford 89 all-out Barley won by 163 runs
FOLLOWING the sad demise of Thurlow Cricket Club from the league, a void in the fixture card was filled by Barley playing Great Shelford who play two leagues above. Skipper Martin Beedell won the toss and elected to bat on a beautifully prepared track on a glorious summer’s day.
Openers Albert Nicolas and Ben Howland seemed well set from the start against the bowling of Palmer and Munday. Nicolas offered the bowlers some encouragement with some edged fours but it wasn’t until Belcher came on that he was out for 26. The centurians curse then struck again as last weeks hero Martin Beedell fell cheaply to Ellum off Pyle before Martin Jones was then outfoxed by Johnson. Allan came in, looked well set but was brilliantly caught on the boundary for eight by Palmer off Parker.
Brian Symes managed just 15 before being dismissed while Howland cruised past his 50 before being caught for 80.
Wallace notched a brilliant 66 while Stuart Whitmore got a decent 22 as Barley finished 252-6.
You may also want to watch:
In reply Great Shelford started slowly. Leigh Stewart (1-15) again bowled a tight line and Mickey Ross (3-34) bowled accurately to dismiss Belcher for four.
He then took Webb for a duck and had skipper Thomas brilliantly caught by Stewart at square leg for seven. Jones then came on to take 5-25.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 3 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 4 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 7 22-year-old sentenced for criminal damage in Melbourn
- 8 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 9 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
Allan’s lightning reactions saw Johnson stumped, while Ellum, MacIntyre, Pyle and Higgins were all clean bowled as Jones put Shelford to the sword.
Barley ran out easy victors as Great Shelford finished on 89 all-out.