Barkway lose to Bourne
BARKWAY Park Golf Club lost their away match to Bourne in the Mail on Sunday National Club Classic on Saturday.
Bourne won three of the singles matches, with the other two being halved, and so ran out 4-1 winners after a very competitive morning’s golf.
Barkway Park Captain, Bruce Knapp, said: “The match started in freezing conditions, but the day quickly turned bright and sunny. The course was in good condition and enjoyable to play. We were made very welcome at Bourne and the match was played in the right spirit.”
Meanwhile, Barkway’s Monthly Medal competition was a closely-fought affair. Division One was won by Rob Dunderdale with a net score of 71 while Greg Smith took second place (73) ahead of Mike Rogers and Alf Jackson.
John Johnson was Division Two winner with a very creditable net 67. Lawrance Westrip (71) was second, beating Dave Francis and David Cowper on count back.
Barkway Seniors’ Friday Merit was won by Bill Rodda with 39 points. The runner-up spot was taken by Kevin Lacy with 36 points over Alan Rogerson and Geoff Piggott, again on count back.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 3 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 4 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 5 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 7 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 8 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 9 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 10 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre