Banyers fight back to reach semi-finals
Banyers 3 Fulbourn Sports Sunday 2 DESPITE propping up Division 3B, Banyers outplayed their higher division rivals to make it through to the semi-finals of the Cambs FA Millennium Cup. Manager Darren Dyer opted for Royston rugby player Scott Easy up fron
Banyers 3 Fulbourn Sports Sunday 2
DESPITE propping up Division 3B, Banyers outplayed their higher division rivals to make it through to the semi-finals of the Cambs FA Millennium Cup.
Manager Darren Dyer opted for Royston rugby player Scott Easy up front alongside youngster Asher Wilson, a partnership that paid immediate dividends.
The hosts were soon in front when Easy powered his way through the Fulbourn defence with Wilson using his speed to great advantage to net the opener.
However, the visitors forced their way back and grabbed a deserved equaliser just before half time.
And Banyers were dealt another blow seconds into the restart when Fulbourn broke clear and fired in their second.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 3 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 4 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 5 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 6 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 7 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge view portrait of themselves at Fitzwilliam Museum
- 10 Little Seedlings workshops to teach budding gardeners this summer
It was a tough second half for Banyers, with Fulbourn beginning to show their strength.
However, Wilson brought the scores level with a fine solo effort.
And with less than 10 minutes on the clock, defender and skipper Mark Halfacre made a brilliant last ditch tackle before finding Kevin Waldock.
Waldock then played it forward to Sipho Tibe whose cross was turned in by a Fulbourn defender to give the hosts the lead.
Banyers battled until the end, although their performance was marred by two late red cards.
However, Banyers will have a semi final match to look forward to with Division 3A side Milton up next.
Banyers: Pigg; Lewis, Caldwell, Halfacre, Grace; Crucifix, Oddy, Tibe, Glennon; Easy, Wilson. (Subs): Waldock, O'Neil.