Banyers fight back to reach semi-finals
Banyers 3 Fulbourn Sports Sunday 2 DESPITE propping up Division 3B, Banyers outplayed their higher division rivals to make it through to the semi-finals of the Cambs FA Millennium Cup. Manager Darren Dyer opted for Royston rugby player Scott Easy up fron
Banyers 3 Fulbourn Sports Sunday 2
DESPITE propping up Division 3B, Banyers outplayed their higher division rivals to make it through to the semi-finals of the Cambs FA Millennium Cup.
Manager Darren Dyer opted for Royston rugby player Scott Easy up front alongside youngster Asher Wilson, a partnership that paid immediate dividends.
The hosts were soon in front when Easy powered his way through the Fulbourn defence with Wilson using his speed to great advantage to net the opener.
You may also want to watch:
However, the visitors forced their way back and grabbed a deserved equaliser just before half time.
And Banyers were dealt another blow seconds into the restart when Fulbourn broke clear and fired in their second.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 3 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 4 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 22-year-old sentenced for criminal damage in Melbourn
- 7 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 8 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 9 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 10 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
It was a tough second half for Banyers, with Fulbourn beginning to show their strength.
However, Wilson brought the scores level with a fine solo effort.
And with less than 10 minutes on the clock, defender and skipper Mark Halfacre made a brilliant last ditch tackle before finding Kevin Waldock.
Waldock then played it forward to Sipho Tibe whose cross was turned in by a Fulbourn defender to give the hosts the lead.
Banyers battled until the end, although their performance was marred by two late red cards.
However, Banyers will have a semi final match to look forward to with Division 3A side Milton up next.
Banyers: Pigg; Lewis, Caldwell, Halfacre, Grace; Crucifix, Oddy, Tibe, Glennon; Easy, Wilson. (Subs): Waldock, O'Neil.