Bailey and Bohan win Men’s Invitation
MARK Bailey and his guest and former member, Mark Bohan, won the Men’s Invitation at Royston Golf Club on Saturday.
Played in bright conditions with a southerly breeze, the pair amassed 44 points to seal a two-point victory over Lee Richardson and Paul Way. Jim Geraghty and Steve Coker were third on countback ahead of Keith Jest and Gordon Harvey.
Paul Lewis and Robert Copeland had the best front nine with 22 points while Malcolm Hayes and Steve Winder took the back nine prize with 43.
Meanwhile, Sid Seward had the round of his life on Sunday, carding a gross 72, nett 61 to win the Veterans Tankard for the second time. The immediate past captain, sped to the turn in 37 and then had a birdie at the 11th to take him back to level par.
He recorded just two further bogeys to win by five shots from Charlie Winter. Seward has seen his handicap tumble over the last 18 months and has now reached single figures for the first time.
You may also want to watch:
Pete Prentice had a magnificent back nine of four under-par, to record a gross 67, nett 63 in the Men’s Medal, but this was only a single shot ahead of Paul Thomson who traded three bogeys with five birdies for his gross 68, nett 64.
Simon Clark recorded a nett 65 just ahead of Peter Law and David Caunce.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 6 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
Elsewhere, Tom Smith won the Saturday Stableford with 41 points, edging out Trevor Sweeting and Adrian Shoebridge.
Alex Brain won the Junior Medal ahead of Matthew Barrett, Luke Bailey, Robbie Ponting and Lyle Clark. The juniors are preparing for their own Club Championship on September 17.