Athletics: Greneway and Meridian athletes train at Lee Valley
- Credit: Archant
Over 100 athletes from Greneway and Meridian schools got the chance to use the facilities at the Lee Valley Athletics Centre in North London.
It is an award-winning state-of-the-art training facility and the largest indoor and outdoor athletics centre, serving London and the South of England and home to four British track and field medallists at the London Olympics. Also it was one of the key London 2012 training venues for Olympic and Paralympic athletes.
The schools travelled to further extend and enrich the athletic experiences of their young athletes by giving them the opportunity to use the same venue as some of the top athletes in the world.
“We wanted to inspire our talented athletes to achieve their PBs through living the Olympic and Paralympic values and where better than here, where you feel inspired to perform,” said Terry Graves, Greneway’s assistant headteacher.
Every athlete had two specific event training sessions, where they followed individually tailored programmes. The Indoor facilities used included: Russell Franklin, Meridian’s head of PE reinforced the feelings of all the teachers, saying the “world-class” facilities brought out the best in the athletes.
You may also want to watch:
Viv Ofstedahl, a PE teacher at Greneway, added: “Many of the senior athletes not only impressed with their expertise and level of performance, but also with their leadership and ability to inspire many of the younger ones. It was fantastic to see.”
- 1 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 4 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 8 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
- 9 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 10 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash