Ashwell warm up for new season with friendly win over Henlow
Ashwell CC 220-6 (38.5 overs) beat Henlow CC 219-7 (40 overs) by four wickets THE new cricket season began for Ashwell on Saturday with a closely fought victory over Henlow at Ashwell s Recreation Ground. The 2009 league season begins in earnest for bot
Ashwell CC 220-6 (38.5 overs) beat Henlow CC 219-7 (40 overs) by four wickets
THE new cricket season began for Ashwell on Saturday with a closely fought victory over Henlow at Ashwell's Recreation Ground.
The 2009 league season begins in earnest for both clubs on May 2, so this game represented a chance for some valuable match practice for both teams.
Henlow's innings began slowly against accurate new ball bowling from Martin Talks (1-15) and Gary Simmons, and there was a sense that the batsmen and bowlers were feeling their way into the new campaign.
Krishan Canagasabey (48) began to play shots all around the wicket as the overs passed, but lost his partner, Bilcock who had his leg stump pegged back with the total at 51, the first wicket of Ashwell's season going to Alex Griffin (1-41).
A quickfire 35 from Peters and an even quicker 51 from Baltruschat pushed Henlow's run rate up, but the introduction of young seam bowlers Jamie Stovell (3 for 27) and Rufus Talks (1 for 30) meant that wickets fell at regular intervals too.
- 1 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 6 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
Henlow's innings closed at 219 for 7.
In reply, Ashwell lost Martyn Deal cheaply - but Martin Talks and Gary Simmons put on a stand of 77, taking the total to 90-2 after 18 overs when Simmons was stumped for 49.
Henry Dann then added 68 with Talks for the third wicket in good time, before Dann and then Talks were out in quick succession - Talks for a well constructed 74.
With 55 needed from the final nine overs, debutant Alex McCracken struck a rapid 20 (comprising two fours and two sixes) and it was then down to Jonathan Merrell (17*) and Alex Griffin (7*) to see Ashwell home at 220-6 with seven balls to spare.
Ashwell's Cambridgeshire Senior League Division 3 campaign starts this Saturday with a home fixture against Chatteris.