Ashwell turn the screw as Longstowe collapse
ASHWELL maintained their perfect start to their league season with a comprehensive 100- run win over Longstowe on Saturday. After losing their opening batsmen early on at 9-2, Jonathan Merrell (40) and Gary Simmons (54) third wicket partnership of 89 re
ASHWELL maintained their perfect start to their league season with a comprehensive 100- run win over Longstowe on Saturday.
After losing their opening batsmen early on at 9-2, Jonathan Merrell (40) and Gary Simmons' (54) third wicket partnership of 89 restored some pride for the hosts and quickly laid the foundations for a decent total.
Simmons was particularly ruthless with any short-pitched bowling, and after his dismissal, Ashwell's middle order all made solid contributions, with Steve Parkhouse (30), Gavin Donald (26) and Tim Moynihan (17) adding their worth.
Ashwell closed on 206-8 from their 40 overs, a target which would prove well beyond the reach of the Longstowe batsmen, despite them losing only one wicket in their first 15 overs.
You may also want to watch:
However, their innings slipped from 43-1 to 71-6 in the face of some probing spells from Matt Skelding (2-28) and Donald (3-32) and their tail end was cleared up by Parkhouse (2-4) and Simmons (3-32).
Longstowe were all out for 106, and the win pushed Ashwell to joint top of the Cambridgeshire Junior Division 2.
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 4 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 5 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 8 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 9 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 10 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash