All-action Newman steals show for Royston
AN improved batting performance enabled Royston to take a share of the Tucker Gardner League points at Khalsa, on Saturday. After being put in the field, Royston s bowling attack started well. Adam Newman and Will Graham bowled very tight and worked well
AN improved batting performance enabled Royston to take a share of the Tucker Gardner League points at Khalsa, on Saturday.
After being put in the field, Royston's bowling attack started well. Adam Newman and Will Graham bowled very tight and worked well as a makeshift opening partnership, in the absence of Richard Temple.
Newman took the first three wickets in his 16-over straight spell, and after 24 overs Khalsa were 90-4.
However, Royston's lack of bowling depth let Khalsa off the hook as they found it easy to pick boundaries off some mediocre bowling in the second half of their innings before being bowled out for 233. Will Graham claimed four wickets.
Royston's innings started well with Newman and Will Hall building a solid opening partnership of 77 before Hall was caught for 33.
Newman fell for 42 but the innings was steadied by Craig Holson (27) and Rik Bentley (29) with a 69-run partnership.
- 1 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 2 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 3 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 4 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 5 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 6 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 7 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 8 Imperial War Museums launches first ever IWM Live event at Duxford this year
- 9 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 10 Town's biggest employer pays tribute to late F John Smith's 'vision and commitment'
However, the visitors were unable to maintain the required run rate despite Sam O'Shea (28 not out) hitting a blistering 24 runs off the final over, and ended up on 213-7.
- Royston make their first team debut at Therfield on Saturday when Godmanchester Town II are the visitors.