Alex does Good at tennis tournament
A NEW tournament was held at Royston Tennis Club last Saturday, with 10 adult and 10 juniors playing in a new touch tennis format.
All players played single tie break matches with mini racquets and red mini balls on mini red size courts. The adults found this challenging while the juniors and minis were able to show their skills, many beating the adults.
Juniors Toby Jackson and Alex Gooding won through to the final and had a close match with Alex taking the trophy (pictured).
Meanwhile, in the Cambridgeshire Leagues the men’s first team of Andy Holmes, Matt Fellingham, Richard Fosbeary & Sam Tobiss continued with their winning streak with a 5-3 home win against Fulbourn. The men’s IIs of Erwin Phillips, Mike Fellingham, Roger Maybury and John Holmes lost 7-1 away to Cambridge VIs then reversed the score winning 7-1 at home to Cambridge VIIs with David Addison and John Goodbody replacing Maybury and Holmes.
The men’s IIIs made it three wins in a row with an 8-0 home win against Phennards IIs, team players were David Addison, Nathan O’Looney, John Goodbody and Jeremy Tuck. The men’s IVs team of Steve Gibson , Russell Hollingshead, Mat Leveridge and Doug Higgins also beat Phennards IIs away 5-3.
The ladies’ IIIs of Ros Godward, Caroline McCormick, Nicole Hamblin and Sharon O’Looney drew 4-4 to Cambourne IIs at home. In the Hertfordshire League the U12 boys’ team of Euan Rees, Lewis Wood, Louis Harwood and George French lost away to Rickmansworth 10-2.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 5 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 6 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 9 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 10 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
The mini red team of Harry Lee, Ivan Grove, Alex Moss and Tom Finch beat Broxbourne away 12-4 while the mini Green team of Sam Turner, Lucas Edey, Owen Wood and Matthew Reeves lost 8-4 at home to Cassiobury.
For full details of all matches, results, membership etc log onto the Club website www.roystontennis.co.uk.