Addison and Burton win mid-Wimbledon Tournament at Royston
IN exhausting hot and windy conditions, Royston Tennis Club held their Mid-Wimbledon Tournament on Saturday.
After five exciting rounds a tense final set was held between juniors Sam Tobiss and Lewis Harley against adults David Addison and Pru Burton.
Tobiss & Harley were 5-2 up but Addison and Burton came back to take the title 7-5. The Club held a BBQ afterwards with the traditional Wimbledon strawberries and cream.
Meanwhile in the Junior Herts Leagues, the Boys U12s team of Gareth Byles, George Pemberton, James Sharp and Dominik Whitaker had a great 6-0 win away to Sawbridgeworth.
In the Cambridgeshire Adult League, the Ladies first team of Pru Burton, Christine Knight, Della Gibson and Kathryn Betts chalked up an 8-0 win at home to Risbygate IIs, then suffered their first defeat of the season in the last match losing 6-2 away to Risbygate Is with Annabel Barrett replacing Burton. They still have enough points to be promoted to Division One next season but will have to wait for the final matches to be played to see if they take the divisional trophy.
You may also want to watch:
The Men’s second team of David Addison, Roger Maybury, John Holmes and Erwin Phillips scored an impressive 7-1 win in their last match of the season away to Foxton Is. With five wins and two draws they cannot be caught and will take the Division Seven trophy and be promoted.
For full information on Royston Tennis Club membership, coaching and events log on to their website at www.royston-tennis.co.uk.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 6 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms