A Team gun down oppostion
Royston Rugby Club touch tournament
ROYSTON Rugby Club held its first summer touch tournament on the Heath on Saturday.
A glorious summer’s day set the tone for what turned out to be a wonderful success. Sixteen teams entered into the tournament sporting a range of fancy dress from banana kits to vicars to retro disco outfits worn by the ladies team who won the award for best dressed.
There were two cups to be won, the top two teams in the group entered into the cup competition and the bottom two entered into the plate competition. With everyone’s eyes on the cup the group games were fiercely competed – especially by the U13s and U14s where one group was even decided by penalty kicks to separate second and third.
A barbecue and cheap drinks meant the tournament produced a great atmosphere and ensured everyone got on well. With the heat of the day beginning to take it’s toll on the players the knock-out stages became a survival of the fittest with the veterans suffering the most.
The plate competition was won by Kneesworth House, with captain Matthew Muirhead overcome with emotion. The cup competition was won by the ‘A Team’ entered by Hardcastle Burton LLP accountants. Captain Steve Williams collected the cup and celebrated by spraying champagne over his team-mates.
- 1 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 2 William and Kate unveil their first official portrait at Fitzwilliam Museum
- 3 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 4 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 5 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 6 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 7 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
The top try-scorer was of the competition was Will Woodgate.
The club would like to thank all those who competed and helped out to make it a fantastic day.