A comfortable win
Royston Town Vets 4 Birchanger Vets 1 TWO own goals and a brace from Paul Lewis saw the Vets comfortable winners on Sunday (October 22). Nick King started in the centre of defence, with Ian King, Brian Cannon and Richard Harris returning. Lewis put Town
Royston Town Vets 4
Birchanger Vets 1
TWO own goals and a brace from Paul Lewis saw the Vets comfortable winners on Sunday (October 22).
Nick King started in the centre of defence, with Ian King, Brian Cannon and Richard Harris returning.
You may also want to watch:
Lewis put Town ahead after 20 minutes, chasing what looked a lost cause, to rob the ball off the last Birchanger defender, then calmly slotting home past the advancing keeper.
Last week's scoring sensation, Kevin Barthrop looked to have left his scoring boots at home after majestically pulling a cross from Lewis down on his chest, to then screw wide from eight yards.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 4 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 5 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 6 22-year-old sentenced for criminal damage in Melbourn
- 7 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 8 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 9 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 10 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
Harris replaced the agitated Carlo Silenti as Town dominated, yet were unable to turn their supremacy into further goals.
The second half saw Mark Crowley making his Royston debut as manager Terry Gore rotated his surprisingly large squad, with Ian King at full back, Brian Cannon in a new wing back role and a the return of a restrained Silenti.
Barthrop looked as he if he was finally about to get on the score sheet, shaping up to shoot from a Lewis run and pass, when a sliding tackle from a Birchanger defender saw the ball taken away, only to run into the corner of the net, for an own goal.
Another own goal followed, which was something of a mystery to all concerned. A long back pass when to the visitors goal area and with everyone waiting for the return kick, the ball somehow found its way into the net.
Normality was resumed 10 minutes from time, when Lewis again found space on the left outpacing the defence, to then round a defender and hammering home for his second, before the visitors snatched a late consolation goal.
Royston Town Vets: M. Chaffey, M Jackson, I Stubbs, K Flack, N King, D Quinn, J Nash, C Silenti, P Lewis, K Barthrop, J Clark, C McArthur, I King, I Allen, M Crawley, B Cannon, R Harris
- On Sunday (October 29) the Vets continue their run of five home games with Goldin Old Boys providing the opposition at Garden Walk, kick off 10.30 am