A comfortable win
Royston Town Vets 4 Birchanger Vets 1 TWO own goals and a brace from Paul Lewis saw the Vets comfortable winners on Sunday (October 22). Nick King started in the centre of defence, with Ian King, Brian Cannon and Richard Harris returning. Lewis put Town
Royston Town Vets 4
Birchanger Vets 1
TWO own goals and a brace from Paul Lewis saw the Vets comfortable winners on Sunday (October 22).
Nick King started in the centre of defence, with Ian King, Brian Cannon and Richard Harris returning.
Lewis put Town ahead after 20 minutes, chasing what looked a lost cause, to rob the ball off the last Birchanger defender, then calmly slotting home past the advancing keeper.
Last week's scoring sensation, Kevin Barthrop looked to have left his scoring boots at home after majestically pulling a cross from Lewis down on his chest, to then screw wide from eight yards.
- 1 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 5 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 6 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 7 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 8 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 9 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 10 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
Harris replaced the agitated Carlo Silenti as Town dominated, yet were unable to turn their supremacy into further goals.
The second half saw Mark Crowley making his Royston debut as manager Terry Gore rotated his surprisingly large squad, with Ian King at full back, Brian Cannon in a new wing back role and a the return of a restrained Silenti.
Barthrop looked as he if he was finally about to get on the score sheet, shaping up to shoot from a Lewis run and pass, when a sliding tackle from a Birchanger defender saw the ball taken away, only to run into the corner of the net, for an own goal.
Another own goal followed, which was something of a mystery to all concerned. A long back pass when to the visitors goal area and with everyone waiting for the return kick, the ball somehow found its way into the net.
Normality was resumed 10 minutes from time, when Lewis again found space on the left outpacing the defence, to then round a defender and hammering home for his second, before the visitors snatched a late consolation goal.
Royston Town Vets: M. Chaffey, M Jackson, I Stubbs, K Flack, N King, D Quinn, J Nash, C Silenti, P Lewis, K Barthrop, J Clark, C McArthur, I King, I Allen, M Crawley, B Cannon, R Harris
- On Sunday (October 29) the Vets continue their run of five home games with Goldin Old Boys providing the opposition at Garden Walk, kick off 10.30 am