Royston Town picked up three important points in Eastern Region Women's League Premier Division by beating Wroxham.

The Crows were sitting just about the two relegation places prior to kick-off at Garden Walk, coming into the contest on the back of a 4-1 loss to league favourites and leaders, Bedford.

But goals from Emma Slater and new signing Emily Smith have them a 2-1 win, lifting them up to eighth in the standings.

The best chance in the first half had came from Slater with a wonderful strike from outside the box.

That flew over the Wroxham keeper but hit the bottom of the crossbar and bounced out leaving it 0-0 at the break.

The second period almost began with a goal too but the keeper denied Nicole Hendrick in a goalmouth scramble.

Slater then went one on one with the keeper but again the Wroxham player came out on top.

However, Royston were finally rewarded for their efforts on 73 minutes.

Another new signing, Tally Miles, hit a long ball forward which Slater ran on to and she capped a player of the match performance by lobbing the keeper.

Eight minutes later it was 2-0, Smith’s powerful shot finding a gap at the near post.

Wroxham did pull one back moments later and three corners in a row deep into stoppage time put huge pressure on the Royston defence.

But they held on to claim the victory.

Attention now turns to the Women's FA Cup and a trip to Needham Market on Sunday.

Royston Crow: Former Potters Bar man, Samson Esan, was sent off for Royston after the final whistle at Mickleover. Picture: TGS PHOTOFormer Potters Bar man, Samson Esan, was sent off for Royston after the final whistle at Mickleover. Picture: TGS PHOTO (Image: ©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468)

Royston's senior men had a difficult afternoon but could still take positives despite a 2-0 loss at runaway Southern League Premier Division Central leaders, Mickleover.

The Derbyshire side had won all 10 of their league matches so far this season, moving on to 11 with the success over the Crows.

But manager Chris Watters was still happy with the effort, especially after Dequane Wilson-Braithwaite was sent off on 40 minutes for a professional foul.

Speaking on Twitter, the boss said: "The score doesn’t reflect what the lads deserved. The red card changed the game.

"We could have sat in and defended but we chose to gamble our point for all three and we gave it a good go.

"If we [continue to] play with that level of commitment, then we have a successful season."

William Atkinson put Mickleover in front on 60 minutes with Oliver Greaves adding to that on 86.

Samson Esan was also sent off for Royston after the final whistle.