199 and counting for Greneway
GRENEWAY School’s Year 8 basketball team celebrated their 199th consecutive home win recently when they defeated Priory (Hitchin) 61-24 in the North Herts Schools’ U13 Premier League – a record which began in in 1995.
Priory travelled to the home of the reigning North Herts Schools’ champions hoping to stop the home side’s amazing home record and put themselves in a strong league position.
In the first quarter Priory looked to be the team to upset Greneway and with good shooting and some ambivalent Greneway play it was as close as it gets. The hosts looked out of sorts with too much unecessary dribbling playing into the hands of Priory.
The second period saw a gradual improvement after the defensive tone had been set by Romario Thomas who closed out the Priory point guard. This factor turned the game and showed the importance of individual defence. With a more stable base Greneway were able to employ their passing game and entered the interval with some breathing space.
After the break it was all Greneway as they passed and played team basketball on offence and defended more effectively as a team. Priory gradually tired and their resistance faded with only one basket in the final quarter. The second half saw some excellent baskets as the host looked like a championship winning team.
You may also want to watch:
Captain Cerys Curtis was the top point-scorer with 16 points while Connor Sandford was close behind with 14.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 6 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 7 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims