Church on the corner

PUBLISHED: 06:25 16 March 2006 | UPDATED: 14:36 12 May 2010

WE have again this week unearthed some old photographs taken from past years around Royston. One is of the John Street Congregational Church, which was opened in 1843 and was used until 1922 when the church was amalgamated with the then Kneesworth Street

WE have again this week unearthed some old photographs taken from past years around Royston. One is of the John Street Congregational Church, which was opened in 1843 and was used until 1922 when the church was amalgamated with the then Kneesworth Street Congregational Church. The decision to merge the two churches came when it became apparent that leading up to the First World War, the number of people attending church began to drop. As The Crow reported at the time, there was much debate and "heart-searching" over the decision to create a united congregation. The building was eventually cleared in the 1930s and a number of the pews were acquired by the Litlington Congregational Church. No one seems to know, however, whatever happened to the organ, which had been in the building for many years. The building stood for 40 years afterwards, before eventually being demolished in 1962. To the rear of the picture can be seen the building which is now Barclays Bank. The photograph of Royston market was taken during the 1920s. The other photographs are of the old Royston police station in Barkway Street and, we believe, Mill Road in Royston, looking towards the junction with Queens Road. - If you have any old photographs of Royston or the surrounding area, call Crow Nostalgia on 01763 245241 or e-mail news@royston-crow.co.uk

Most Read

Latest from the Royston Crow

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists