Buildings of interest

PUBLISHED: 11:16 15 February 2007 | UPDATED: 14:59 12 May 2010

St John the Baptist Mission Hall

St John the Baptist Mission Hall

THERE is much talk at the moment about buildings of interest in Royston. In our photograph this week is a building which may well be one of those which could have been seen as worth preserving today. Unfortunately, it was demolished along with the Queens

THERE is much talk at the moment about buildings of interest in Royston.

In our photograph this week is a building which may well be one of those which could have been seen as worth preserving today.

Unfortunately, it was demolished along with the Queens Road School in the 1960s.

The building in question is the St John the Baptist Mission Hall, which was opened in 1904. It was built due to a bequest of £1,000 in the will of Ellen Pyne, the widow of Richard Pyne, a former surgeon.

It was a church and social centre for 60 years.

Mrs Pyne also left £5,000 to the Royston Cottage Hospital and £500 to the Royston Nursing Association.

Most Read

Latest from the Royston Crow

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists