Youth campaigner visits parliament and meets George Osborne
A CAMPAIGNER who works tirelessly on behalf of youngsters met ministers in a visit to the Houses of Parliament. Tony Gearing, of Hormead, is the founder of the Young People of the Year (Yopey) awards, which started in Hertfordshire and was so successful t
A CAMPAIGNER who works tirelessly on behalf of youngsters met ministers in a visit to the Houses of Parliament.
Tony Gearing, of Hormead, is the founder of the Young People of the Year (Yopey) awards, which started in Hertfordshire and was so successful that they are now held in other areas too, including Cambridgeshire
The awards recognise young people who make positive contributions to their community, and Mr Gearing was accompanied by some of the winners from this years competitions.
He was invited to London by the Conservative party leader David Cameron, and although the Tory leader was absent on the day due to illness, shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne stepped into the breach and greeted the party.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Gearing, who is also president of the Royston Round Table, said: "I and the young winners were chuffed to be invited to Parliament. It's great to be recognised by the man who may be the next Prime Minister.
"Politicians, like the media, share the blame for giving the younger generation an unfair image. They should join forces with Yopey to put this injustice right."
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 4 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 5 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 6 25-year-old admits Royston drug dealing
- 7 Review: Groan Ups is 'like a student sketch show stretched out over two hours'
- 8 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 9 Fundraising walk for Citizens Advice 'a resounding success'
- 10 Save pennies and the planet - why you should go along to Sustain-Ability event
The fifth Hertfordshire YOPEY is about to get underway, and nominations for young positive role models who give to others are invited via the Yopey website www.yopey.org or by writing to Young People of the Year, PO Box 103, Hare Street, Ware, SG9 OXD, enclosing an SAE, for an entry form. Young people can nominate themselves.