Youth at Risk UK director aiming to make his Mark in the Virgin London Marathon
A DIRECTOR from a Royston-based charity is running the London Marathon to raise funds to help their work. Mark Charley is to run the Virgin London Marathon on April 25 on behalf of his employer, Youth at Risk UK. He knows from first hand experience the im
A DIRECTOR from a Royston-based charity is running the London Marathon to raise funds to help their work.
Mark Charley is to run the Virgin London Marathon on April 25 on behalf of his employer, Youth at Risk UK. He knows from first hand experience the importance of the charity's work with young people from difficult backgrounds.
He said: "I grew up in several foster homes, spent two and a half years in a juvenile detention facility and experienced firsthand the challenges of street life, abuse, lack of education, parental guidance, and poverty.
"I have worked hard to overcome this, not only to create a better future for myself and my family, but also to make a difference for other young adults like me.
You may also want to watch:
"Youth at Risk has been there, making a difference in the lives of young people for 20 years, and they continue to transform young adults from disenfranchised, alienated, and desperate to empowered, resilient, contributing members of society," he said.
The 47-year old is training director of Youth at Risk, which is based in Stamford Yard, Royston.
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 3 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 4 Review: Groan Ups is 'like a student sketch show stretched out over two hours'
- 5 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 7 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 8 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 9 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 10 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
"In these economic times it is tough to ask people for contributions, which in part is why I decided to do this fundraiser," he said.
"I have never run a marathon, in fact, I didn't realise just how far 26 miles is when you have to run it, but I thought I would take on this further challenge for something I passionately believe in."
If you would like to sponsor Mark you can do so online at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/MarkCharley.