Your chance to be one of Santa’s little helpers as good causes recruit for the festive season
- Credit: Archant
Royston Volunteer Centre manager Denise Graham’s regular look at the voluntary sector in North East Herts
Are you thinking about volunteering over the festive season? Many charities and events would really appreciate your help but they need to plan ahead – so if you are thinking of volunteering this Christmas, now’s the time to think about what opportunities are available.
Christmas fundraising: Why not find out if your favourite charity needs help with Christmas collections or events?
You generally only need to spare a few hours and there are no necessary skills to take part – just enthusiasm for the cause.
Many charities are recruiting for fundraising volunteers with us so just get in touch.
You may also want to watch:
Give support on a helpline: Christmas can be a particularly distressing time for people who don’t have family or friends to be with, have mental health problems or an unstable home life.
Helplines such as Samaritans and the Domestic Abuse Helpline can be a real source of support, but require lots of volunteers to keep them running. Most will give you training before you start manning the phones.
- 1 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 2 Bins sealed shut and rat cull halted on Therfield Heath
- 3 Missing teen found safe and well
- 4 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 5 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 6 Party leaders respond to election result in North Herts
- 7 Richard Roberts set to become leader of Herts County Council
- 8 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 9 County council elections round-up for North Herts
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
Animal shelters: Could you rehome a rescue animal and give them a happy Christmas or provide practical help with feeding and caring for our furry friends over the festive period?
Or what about getting into the Christmas spirit by helping to marshal the Annual Santa Fun Run in Royston – more volunteers are needed to help for a few hours on Sunday, December 13 at Royston Leisure Centre and nearby streets.
To volunteer to spread some Christmas cheer just get in touch with us and we can provide more details.
You can find the Royston & District Volunteer Centre in the Royston Town Hall Annexe, Melbourn Street, Royston, SG8 7DA
Phone 01763 243020, email email@example.com or visit the website at www.roystonvolunteer.org.uk