Youngsters enjoy pentathlon
A SPORTS centre has launched its summer pentathlon with the aim of encouraging youngsters to keep active over the summer holidays. Melbourn Community Sports Centre has been running the programme for the past seven years, and already more than 60 youngste
A SPORTS centre has launched its summer pentathlon with the aim of encouraging youngsters to keep active over the summer holidays.
Melbourn Community Sports Centre has been running the programme for the past seven years, and already more than 60 youngsters have signed up.
Graham Johnson-Mack of the centre said: "It's been our aim to get children out of the house over the summer and keep them active and healthy. They shouldn't be stuck in the house playing computer games."
The programme kicked off with its summer pentathlon in which the youngsters, from five-13, took part in hockey, athletics, football, basketball, and cricket.
You may also want to watch:
Eleven-year-old Aaron Grimwood of Meldreth said: "I really enjoyed the basketball and I'm now looking forward to doing some swimming. I think the sessions are really fun and I've had the chance to do play sports I've never played before."
Emily Elbourn, 12, also of Meldreth added: "I've enjoyed the cricket because I like catching the ball and seeing how far I can hit the ball, I also loved going on the trampoline - that has been really fun."
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 10 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
Graham said: "The sessions are going very well, and the children seem to be enjoying themselves and that's what it's all about. "
The centre will also be holding swimming and snorkelling classes, as well as other play schemes and sports sessions.
- For session times and more information contact the centre on 01763 263313 or visit the website at www.mc-sport.co.uk