Youngsters enjoy pentathlon
A SPORTS centre has launched its summer pentathlon with the aim of encouraging youngsters to keep active over the summer holidays. Melbourn Community Sports Centre has been running the programme for the past seven years, and already more than 60 youngste
A SPORTS centre has launched its summer pentathlon with the aim of encouraging youngsters to keep active over the summer holidays.
Melbourn Community Sports Centre has been running the programme for the past seven years, and already more than 60 youngsters have signed up.
Graham Johnson-Mack of the centre said: "It's been our aim to get children out of the house over the summer and keep them active and healthy. They shouldn't be stuck in the house playing computer games."
The programme kicked off with its summer pentathlon in which the youngsters, from five-13, took part in hockey, athletics, football, basketball, and cricket.
Eleven-year-old Aaron Grimwood of Meldreth said: "I really enjoyed the basketball and I'm now looking forward to doing some swimming. I think the sessions are really fun and I've had the chance to do play sports I've never played before."
Emily Elbourn, 12, also of Meldreth added: "I've enjoyed the cricket because I like catching the ball and seeing how far I can hit the ball, I also loved going on the trampoline - that has been really fun."
- 1 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 2 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 3 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 4 Herts' 'league of extraordinary farmers' come together to fight field fires
- 5 Author AJ Campbell to publish fourth novel
- 6 Melbourn's Dan Goodfellow hails 'extra-special' Commonwealth gold
- 7 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 8 Residents concerned 140 homes plan could cause 'ecological catastrophe'
- 9 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 10 Hertfordshire 'extreme heat' amber warning as temperature set to soar
Graham said: "The sessions are going very well, and the children seem to be enjoying themselves and that's what it's all about. "
The centre will also be holding swimming and snorkelling classes, as well as other play schemes and sports sessions.
- For session times and more information contact the centre on 01763 263313 or visit the website at www.mc-sport.co.uk