Young Melbourn chef progresses in team cookery challenge
- Credit: Archant
The competition is heating up for a Melbourn chef who is through to the regional heats of a top cookery contest.
Yuan Lee, 18, from Melbourn, has made it through to the Midlands and East Anglia heat of the Brakes Student Chef Team challenge, which will be held at Stratford on Avon on 7 March.
The contest, the country’s premier competition for student chefs, attracted a record 87 team entries from colleges throughout the UK, with 52 shortlisted for the cook-offs.
A student at Cambridge Regional College, Yuan and her team mates - fellow students Jenny Polhil and Maria Kovacheva - will each cook one course in a bid to win through to the national finals in London in April.
CRC lecturer Graham Taylor said he was delighted the student chefs had won their way through to the regional heats.
You may also want to watch:
“The standard of entries to the Brakes competition is very high so it is great news that the CRC team will be competing in the live cook-offs,” he said.
“Jenny, Yuan and Maria are all talented young chefs and their chosen dishes are very popular with customers at the Park restaurant - so we are hoping they will also impress the judges.”
- 1 Results in for South Cambs District Council by-election
- 2 Hospital reopens all operating theatres as waiting lists get longer
- 3 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 4 Royston Picture Palace announces cinema's planned reopening date
- 5 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 6 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 7 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 8 Promising Young Woman review: Carey Mulligan shines in Emerald Fennell's outstanding movie
- 9 Palmer and Johnson now neck and neck in race to be Mayor of Cambridgeshire
- 10 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
The team will be cooking celeriac apple soup with hog fritters, pan-fried venison with saladaise potatoes and dark chocolate cherry fondant with white chocolate ice cream.