You’re looking swell Dolly at 104
KEEN musician Dolly Howes celebrated her 104th birthday in style. Mrs Howes, who lives at Southwell Court residential home in Melbourn, regularly sings and plays the piano. She enjoyed a celebratory lunch with the other residents yesterday (Wednes
KEEN musician Dolly Howes celebrated her 104th birthday in style.
Mrs Howes, who lives at Southwell Court residential home in Melbourn, regularly sings and plays the piano.
She enjoyed a celebratory lunch with the other residents yesterday (Wednesday).
Andrew Tilbrook, manager of Southwell Court, said: "Dolly is an astonishing woman, she seems to be going backwards and getting younger rather than older.
You may also want to watch:
"She's always singing, plays the piano often, and likes nothing better than trying to cheer up the other residents.
"She often says 'come on you lot, I don't want to see any long faces.'"
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 8 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 9 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 10 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
Mrs Howes, who said there was no real secret to leading a long and happy life, is originally from London.
She lived in Bassingbourn with her late husband, Charlie, for many years, and moved into Southwell Court in September 1999.
Her nephew, Peter Howes, who was at the party with his wife Margaret, said: "Dolly always has a smile on her face.
"She's a very happy person and has a cracking sense of humour, and I think that's helped her live to such a good age.
"It always amazes me that she doesn't need to wear glasses, even though she's 104. I hope my eye-sight is as good if I make it to her age," he said.