Work starts on hall
WORK has begun on a new community hall in Melbourn. The building, behind All Saints Church, will be replacing the church s former hall which was a 1960s prefab building. The new £200,000 hall will have insulation and disabled access and will benefit group
WORK has begun on a new community hall in Melbourn.
The building, behind All Saints Church, will be replacing the church's former hall which was a 1960s prefab building.
The new £200,000 hall will have insulation and disabled access and will benefit groups and organisations including All Saints Playgroup, which will move from the sports pavilion.
The project has taken 10 years to get off the ground, but £80,000 still needs to be raised to finish the project.
Fund-raising events planned include a dinner at Sheene Mill and a flower festival at the church, in celebration of winter on Feb 3/4 from 11am-4pm.
Vicar The Rev Andrew O'Brien said: "This new community hall will be a great asset to the village.
- 1 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 3 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 4 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 5 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 6 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 7 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 8 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 9 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 10 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
"The first phase of the building should be finished by March but if we don't raise the extra funds I'm not sure what will happen."
Anyone who would like to make a donation should call Mr O'Brien on 01763 260295.
Alternatively you can send donations to him at: The Vicarage, Vicarage Close, Melbourn, SG8 6DY.
Cheques should be made payable to All Saints Community Hall Fund.