Wombles get out their litter pickers to tidy Royston
- Credit: Archant
Shoppers came face-to-face with a life-size Womble and a giant cigarette last weekend in a campaign to keep Royston town centre tidy.
Costume-wearing town councillors spoke to shoppers calling on them to help to keep the town centre free from litter, then handed them leaflets and cigarette and gum disposal pouches.
The campaign comes after pavements were given a deep clean and cigarette bins were installed in the centre.
In recent months the town council’s working party has been negotiating with North Herts District Council to carry out the deep clean work and to ensure other refurbishments will be completed shortly.
A spokesman for the working party said: “As the town centre has received a deep clean we wanted to emphasise the fact that it is now in the hands of the public to ensure we keep the area tidy.
You may also want to watch:
“We were encouraged by the high level of support we received from the public.”
- 1 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 2 Results in for South Cambs District Council by-election
- 3 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 4 Local Election 2021: Counting starts for North Herts council
- 5 Local Election 2021 results: NHDC leader loses seat
- 6 Promising Young Woman review: Carey Mulligan shines in Emerald Fennell's outstanding movie
- 7 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 8 Royston Picture Palace announces cinema's planned reopening date
- 9 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
- 10 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided