Woman to scale Battersea Power Station in the name of charity
- Credit: Archant
A BUILDING in London will be the setting for a woman’s abseil in the name of charity.
Rachel Brown will be taking part in the CLIC Sargent abseil at Battersea Power Station later this year.
She will be descending 130-feet down the side of the building, and is aiming to raise as much cash as possible for CLIC Start, which helps children suffering from many forms of cancer.
Rachel, of Blacksmiths Lane, Reed, said: “I wanted to raise money for CLIC Sargent because, while I don’t know any children affected with cancer, I’m at an age where many family and friends are starting families of their own, and I can’t begin to imagine how hard it would be if any of them had to go through the heartbreak of having a child with cancer.
“I’m half way to my target, but would love to exceed it, as there are so many families out there who need help and support.”
You may also want to watch:
The 23-year-old admits to being slightly nervous about taking the plunge.
“I’m a bit apprehensive about the initial stepping over the edge, as that’s supposed to be the hardest part,” she said.
- 1 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 2 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 3 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 4 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 5 Hunt the hearts at town trail to raise money for charity
- 6 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 7 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 8 MP 'delighted' at Barley speed camera action
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
“But I think once I get over the side and on the wall I’ll love it. There’s no training involved, just as much fundraising as possible.
“I wanted to do something a little different and quirky to raise as much as possible, as well as challenge myself to do something that pushes myself out of my comfort zone, and abseiling has always appealed.”
To sponsor Rachel, visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RachelBrownAbseil