Woman to scale Battersea Power Station in the name of charity
- Credit: Archant
A BUILDING in London will be the setting for a woman’s abseil in the name of charity.
Rachel Brown will be taking part in the CLIC Sargent abseil at Battersea Power Station later this year.
She will be descending 130-feet down the side of the building, and is aiming to raise as much cash as possible for CLIC Start, which helps children suffering from many forms of cancer.
Rachel, of Blacksmiths Lane, Reed, said: “I wanted to raise money for CLIC Sargent because, while I don’t know any children affected with cancer, I’m at an age where many family and friends are starting families of their own, and I can’t begin to imagine how hard it would be if any of them had to go through the heartbreak of having a child with cancer.
“I’m half way to my target, but would love to exceed it, as there are so many families out there who need help and support.”
The 23-year-old admits to being slightly nervous about taking the plunge.
“I’m a bit apprehensive about the initial stepping over the edge, as that’s supposed to be the hardest part,” she said.
- 1 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 2 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 3 Children's kite design competition winners announced
- 4 20 Ukrainian medical students begin placements at Addenbrooke’s
- 5 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 6 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 7 Residents concerned 140 homes plan could cause 'ecological catastrophe'
- 8 Hertfordshire 'extreme heat' amber warning as temperature set to soar
- 9 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 10 Mid-August railway strike set to hit Hertfordshire train lines
“But I think once I get over the side and on the wall I’ll love it. There’s no training involved, just as much fundraising as possible.
“I wanted to do something a little different and quirky to raise as much as possible, as well as challenge myself to do something that pushes myself out of my comfort zone, and abseiling has always appealed.”
To sponsor Rachel, visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RachelBrownAbseil