Woman to scale Battersea Power Station in the name of charity
- Credit: Archant
A BUILDING in London will be the setting for a woman’s abseil in the name of charity.
Rachel Brown will be taking part in the CLIC Sargent abseil at Battersea Power Station later this year.
She will be descending 130-feet down the side of the building, and is aiming to raise as much cash as possible for CLIC Start, which helps children suffering from many forms of cancer.
Rachel, of Blacksmiths Lane, Reed, said: “I wanted to raise money for CLIC Sargent because, while I don’t know any children affected with cancer, I’m at an age where many family and friends are starting families of their own, and I can’t begin to imagine how hard it would be if any of them had to go through the heartbreak of having a child with cancer.
“I’m half way to my target, but would love to exceed it, as there are so many families out there who need help and support.”
You may also want to watch:
The 23-year-old admits to being slightly nervous about taking the plunge.
“I’m a bit apprehensive about the initial stepping over the edge, as that’s supposed to be the hardest part,” she said.
- 1 Crews tackle fires in residential street and industrial area
- 2 Police dog helps track down bike stolen in South Cambs
- 3 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 4 Who are our North Herts candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 5 IWM Duxford set to reopen fully and new flying days announced
- 6 Melbourn ward by-election 2021: Who are the candidates?
- 7 CCTV appeal after large amount of criminal damage to secured yard
- 8 Second Gladman planning application for fields near Therfield Heath rejected
- 9 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'
- 10 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
“But I think once I get over the side and on the wall I’ll love it. There’s no training involved, just as much fundraising as possible.
“I wanted to do something a little different and quirky to raise as much as possible, as well as challenge myself to do something that pushes myself out of my comfort zone, and abseiling has always appealed.”
To sponsor Rachel, visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RachelBrownAbseil