Woman to scale Battersea Power Station in the name of charity
- Credit: Archant
A BUILDING in London will be the setting for a woman’s abseil in the name of charity.
Rachel Brown will be taking part in the CLIC Sargent abseil at Battersea Power Station later this year.
She will be descending 130-feet down the side of the building, and is aiming to raise as much cash as possible for CLIC Start, which helps children suffering from many forms of cancer.
Rachel, of Blacksmiths Lane, Reed, said: “I wanted to raise money for CLIC Sargent because, while I don’t know any children affected with cancer, I’m at an age where many family and friends are starting families of their own, and I can’t begin to imagine how hard it would be if any of them had to go through the heartbreak of having a child with cancer.
“I’m half way to my target, but would love to exceed it, as there are so many families out there who need help and support.”
You may also want to watch:
The 23-year-old admits to being slightly nervous about taking the plunge.
“I’m a bit apprehensive about the initial stepping over the edge, as that’s supposed to be the hardest part,” she said.
- 1 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 2 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 3 County council offices could be sold off or leased in part
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 6 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 7 Trial date changed for killer of children's author accused of wife's murder
- 8 Herts covered in blanket of snow as flurries fell on Sunday
- 9 Wonder Woman flies into IWM Duxford for movie scenes
- 10 Hare coursers damaged farmer's crops in escape bid
“But I think once I get over the side and on the wall I’ll love it. There’s no training involved, just as much fundraising as possible.
“I wanted to do something a little different and quirky to raise as much as possible, as well as challenge myself to do something that pushes myself out of my comfort zone, and abseiling has always appealed.”
To sponsor Rachel, visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RachelBrownAbseil