Woman on a tour of every Wetherspoons in the country rates Royston’s The Manor House as one of the best
- Credit: Archant
A woman who has spent the last 21 years visiting 990 Wetherspoons pubs across the country has rated The Manor House in Royston a ‘really nice place with very friendly staff.’
Mags Thomson from Livingston in Scotland found national fame after the story about her quest to visit every pub in the UK chain went viral.
The most recent destination on her pint-sized bucket list was the Melbourn Street pub, and she says she enjoyed every minute of her visit.
Mags ordered a cheese and onion toastie, and polished it off with a brandy.
She said: “The Manor House had a really nice homely atmosphere, I’d say it’s above average.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve also been to the Letchworth and Stevenage Wetherspoons pubs years ago with my late husband.
“The Stevenage ones weren’t among the best at the time. The Royston one is better. Hitchin was also very nice.”
- 1 Bins sealed shut and rat cull halted on Therfield Heath
- 2 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 3 Missing teen found safe and well
- 4 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 5 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 6 Richard Roberts set to become leader of Herts County Council
- 7 Party leaders respond to election result in North Herts
- 8 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Letchworth triumph over Royston in inaugural match
Mags started the hobby with her husband Ian back in the 1990s. Together they visited a total of 708 branches, until Ian’s death in 2010.
Mags says her new-found fame –she’s been on Radio 5 Live, and has featured in the Daily Mail, The Sun, Mirror and Independent is ‘a bit mental’.
She told the Crow: “A lot of my friends have been joking and asking for my autograph.
“I’m not doing it for recognition. That’s why I’m surprised people are interested in my story.
“It started as a hobby. I’m only doing it because it’s something I enjoy doing.”
Mags has plans to revisit Hertfordshire soon, as she needs to tick the chain’s new Hatfield pub off her list. She said: “I can’t just visit one in an area, I’ll have to visit a few in one trip. Otherwise it’s just not cost effective.”