Woman on a tour of every Wetherspoons in the country rates Royston’s The Manor House as one of the best
- Credit: Archant
A woman who has spent the last 21 years visiting 990 Wetherspoons pubs across the country has rated The Manor House in Royston a ‘really nice place with very friendly staff.’
Mags Thomson from Livingston in Scotland found national fame after the story about her quest to visit every pub in the UK chain went viral.
The most recent destination on her pint-sized bucket list was the Melbourn Street pub, and she says she enjoyed every minute of her visit.
Mags ordered a cheese and onion toastie, and polished it off with a brandy.
She said: “The Manor House had a really nice homely atmosphere, I’d say it’s above average.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve also been to the Letchworth and Stevenage Wetherspoons pubs years ago with my late husband.
“The Stevenage ones weren’t among the best at the time. The Royston one is better. Hitchin was also very nice.”
- 1 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
- 2 Fraudster jailed after £60,000 shopping spree
- 3 Mass vaccine centre opening marks 'big step forward' in beating COVID-19
- 4 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 5 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 6 Wonder Woman flies into IWM Duxford for movie scenes
- 7 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 8 Make the A505 Safer: Improvement works to continue in 2021
- 9 Isthmian League reveal why they want to terminate non-league football 'at the earliest opportunity'
- 10 Thief pleads guilty to assaulting two people
Mags started the hobby with her husband Ian back in the 1990s. Together they visited a total of 708 branches, until Ian’s death in 2010.
Mags says her new-found fame –she’s been on Radio 5 Live, and has featured in the Daily Mail, The Sun, Mirror and Independent is ‘a bit mental’.
She told the Crow: “A lot of my friends have been joking and asking for my autograph.
“I’m not doing it for recognition. That’s why I’m surprised people are interested in my story.
“It started as a hobby. I’m only doing it because it’s something I enjoy doing.”
Mags has plans to revisit Hertfordshire soon, as she needs to tick the chain’s new Hatfield pub off her list. She said: “I can’t just visit one in an area, I’ll have to visit a few in one trip. Otherwise it’s just not cost effective.”