Woman hopes to reunite owner with lost wedding ring
A woman who discovered a wedding ring in her garden that has been buried for more than 10 years hopes to reunite it with its owner.
The ring, an 18-carat gold wedding band, was found by Georgina Butcher and her husband Matthew, buried in the garden of their home in Metcalfe Way, Melbourn.
Mrs Butcher has been doing some detective work locally to try and trace its owner, believed to be the previous occupant of the house.
She said: “We were cutting back some weeds and shrubs in our garden, and uprooting a load of plants when my husband saw something in the overturned soil.
“When we took it inside and cleaned it up we could see that it was a wedding ring. We couldn’t believe it.”
You may also want to watch:
Mum-of-three Mrs Butcher started making enquiries with her neighbours as to whether they remembered the previous owners of the house having lost a ring.
She said: “One of them said the man who lived here before us did tell them he had lost his wedding ring, but that was 10 or 15 years ago. They think he’s dead now, but his wife still lives in the area and I’d like to get in touch with her and return it to her.
- 1 Grandmother who got on a motorcycle aged 105 passes away
- 2 Councillors gagged by threat of 'personal litigation' ahead of farmgate debate
- 3 Reed on the road as Herts Cricket League clubs find out National Village Cup fate
- 4 South Cambs MP launches new forum to champion local life sciences
- 5 Experts to discuss mental health at new online festival
- 6 Royston photographer wins abstract picture competition
- 7 Council leader faces claim he broke confidentiality on farmgate report
- 8 'Utterly extraordinary' says Lib Dem leader of disgraced deputy leader's criticisms
- 9 Fire-hit parish church secures vital cash boost
- 10 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
“I know her name, Mary Corley, as we kept getting her mail after we moved in seven years ago. She’s an elderly lady and still lives in the Melbourn or Meldreth area, but I haven’t been able to find her yet.”
Mrs Butcher has been asking people she knows in both villages, as well as putting out appeals on social media. She said: “Hopefully through the Crow we will be able to find the lady. It’s awful when someone loses a wedding ring and I just want to give it back to her.”
Can you help reunite the ring with its owner? Email email@example.com or call the Crow on 07785 616246.