Willows band set to hit the Royston stage
- Credit: Archant
A folk band which straddles Americana and English roots music will be showing just what that sounds like on a Royston stage next Friday.
The Willows hail from Cambridge and their first album Beneath Our Humble Soil, nominated for best debut in the Spiral Earth Awards 2014, was championed by the likes of folk scene legend Bob Harris.
Their much anticipated follow-up Amidst Fiery Skies was also met with critical acclaim.
In a statement ahead of the gig the band enthused: “We are very much looking forward to returning to Royston. The folk club has been very supportive and we can’t wait to play again.”
The band features Jade Rhiannon on vocals and shruti box, Cliff Ward on banjo, guitar, fiddle and vocals, Ben Savage on guitar, dobro and vocals, Prue Ward on violin and vocals and Evan Carson on dodhran and percussion.
You may also want to watch:
The band was first formed by husband and wife Cliff and Jade and Cliff’s sister Prue.
Guitarist Ben was added to the line-up after a connection made on social media exchange Gumtree.
- 1 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 2 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 5 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 6 Bins sealed shut and rat cull halted on Therfield Heath
- 7 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 8 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 9 Govia Thameslink makes £700,000 railway station accessibility improvements
- 10 Missing teen found safe and well
The band, who will be supported by Mary and Anahata, will perform at Royston Folk Club at the Old Bull Inn next Friday, March 25.
Tickets are £15 (£13 in advance) but just £2 for under 25s. Visit www.roystonfolk.org to find out more.