Wide-eyed at wildlife park
THE CHILDREN of Chernobyl s dreams came true on Monday, with a trip to Willersmill Wildlife Park at Shepreth. Before the 16 youngsters from Belarus arrived in England, they asked if they would get to see real furry animals . They were shown around the pe
THE CHILDREN of Chernobyl's dreams came true on Monday, with a trip to Willersmill Wildlife Park at Shepreth.
Before the 16 youngsters from Belarus arrived in England, they asked if they would get to see "real furry animals".
They were shown around the pets corner where they stroked and fed some of the friendly animals, before paying a visit to the tiger enclosure. They also visited the bug and reptile house, where they held geckos, millipedes and even a large corn snake.
Chaperone Jo Desmarais said: "It was lovely to see their reactions to the animals. They told us that their favourite animals were the foxes, tigers, and donkeys.
You may also want to watch:
"The staff were absolutely fantastic and made us all feel welcome and they were really good with the children."
Chaperone Anne Bobeckyj said: "The children are adapting very well, and we are all enjoying having them in our homes. The improvement in their condition is already noticeable, so we are seeing the benefits of their stay."
- 1 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 2 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 5 Govia Thameslink makes £700,000 railway station accessibility improvements
- 6 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 7 Bins sealed shut and rat cull halted on Therfield Heath
- 8 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 9 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 10 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
The 16 children will be staying with their host families from the Cambridgeshire Friends of Chernobyl Charity (FOCC) for the next three weeks.
- For more details visit the Friends of Chernobyl charity website at www.focc.org.uk