Well, hello dolly...
A TALENTED and creative woman has received a prestigious award for her hand-crafted porcelain dolls. Christine Jones, of Newbolt, Royston, who is a member of the Global Doll Society, won a gold medal in the Modern Fantasy section at the society s annual a
A TALENTED and creative woman has received a prestigious award for her hand-crafted porcelain dolls.
Christine Jones, of Newbolt, Royston, who is a member of the Global Doll Society, won a gold medal in the Modern Fantasy section at the society's annual awards.
Christine uses a range of techniques to create the intricate dolls, such as embroidery, gold relief work, painting, and jewellery work.
But before she concentrates on aesthetics she has to use a kiln to fire them from scratch.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "There are so many things that can go wrong. You can get a cold spot in the kiln or it might fire too high or too low.
"And you may have to paint the heads four or five times to get it right."
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 6 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Outstanding day had by all at Streetfood Heroes event
- 10 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day
Christine has been making dolls for 10 years, and is working on another fantasy doll to add to her collection, which includes a fairy and an ice queen.
She said she would like to teach her skills to others, and added: "I would also love to make a Madonna doll for the Catholic Church. But I would have to get the right doll for that."
When asked where she gets her ideas from she said: "I work on inspiration.