Well, hello dolly...
A TALENTED and creative woman has received a prestigious award for her hand-crafted porcelain dolls. Christine Jones, of Newbolt, Royston, who is a member of the Global Doll Society, won a gold medal in the Modern Fantasy section at the society s annual a
A TALENTED and creative woman has received a prestigious award for her hand-crafted porcelain dolls.
Christine Jones, of Newbolt, Royston, who is a member of the Global Doll Society, won a gold medal in the Modern Fantasy section at the society's annual awards.
Christine uses a range of techniques to create the intricate dolls, such as embroidery, gold relief work, painting, and jewellery work.
But before she concentrates on aesthetics she has to use a kiln to fire them from scratch.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "There are so many things that can go wrong. You can get a cold spot in the kiln or it might fire too high or too low.
"And you may have to paint the heads four or five times to get it right."
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 4 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
Christine has been making dolls for 10 years, and is working on another fantasy doll to add to her collection, which includes a fairy and an ice queen.
She said she would like to teach her skills to others, and added: "I would also love to make a Madonna doll for the Catholic Church. But I would have to get the right doll for that."
When asked where she gets her ideas from she said: "I work on inspiration.