Welcome to Royston, twinned with Benghazi?
ALTHOUGH downtown Benghazi and Royston High Street may have little in common it was last week suggested the town could be linked with a Libyan community.
Councillor Gerald Morris put the idea forward at a district council area committee meeting during a discussion on town twinning.
He said: “If we want to be really ahead of the game and twin with a Libyan town, how would we do it?” and added: “I’m deadly serious.”
The Crow spoke to Cllr Morris after the meeting and he outlined his idea further.
“I think at some time in the future, not now, but when things settle down, we should look at towns further afield than the central parts of Europe,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“I think that in our own little way we can help these countries become part of the wider international community.”
Libya is emerging from a bitter civil war which saw a populist revolt overthrow the country’s dictator General Gadaffi.
- 1 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 2 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 3 County council offices could be sold off or leased in part
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 6 Trial date changed for killer of children's author accused of wife's murder
- 7 Herts covered in blanket of snow as flurries fell on Sunday
- 8 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 9 Wonder Woman flies into IWM Duxford for movie scenes
- 10 Hare coursers damaged farmer's crops in escape bid
The insurgents were aided by foreign troops. However, the prolonged uprising saw the death of many civilians, freedom fighters, and government troops.
Royston this month formalised an agreement with Spanish town Villanueva de la Canada.
The town is already twinned with La Loupe in France, and Grossalmerode in Germany.
The Crow was unable to contact anyone from Royston and District Twinning Association this week.
The Libyan Embassy would not comment on the possibility of a Royston twinning.
What do you think of the proposal? Get in touch online at email@example.com or write to the Royston Crow, Thomas Morris, 6 Melbourn Street, Royston, Herts, SG8 7BX.