Welcome to Royston, twinned with Benghazi?
ALTHOUGH downtown Benghazi and Royston High Street may have little in common it was last week suggested the town could be linked with a Libyan community.
Councillor Gerald Morris put the idea forward at a district council area committee meeting during a discussion on town twinning.
He said: “If we want to be really ahead of the game and twin with a Libyan town, how would we do it?” and added: “I’m deadly serious.”
The Crow spoke to Cllr Morris after the meeting and he outlined his idea further.
“I think at some time in the future, not now, but when things settle down, we should look at towns further afield than the central parts of Europe,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“I think that in our own little way we can help these countries become part of the wider international community.”
Libya is emerging from a bitter civil war which saw a populist revolt overthrow the country’s dictator General Gadaffi.
- 1 Crews tackle fires in residential street and industrial area
- 2 Police dog helps track down bike stolen in South Cambs
- 3 Who are our North Herts candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 4 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 5 IWM Duxford set to reopen fully and new flying days announced
- 6 Melbourn ward by-election 2021: Who are the candidates?
- 7 CCTV appeal after large amount of criminal damage to secured yard
- 8 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'
- 9 Second Gladman planning application for fields near Therfield Heath rejected
- 10 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
The insurgents were aided by foreign troops. However, the prolonged uprising saw the death of many civilians, freedom fighters, and government troops.
Royston this month formalised an agreement with Spanish town Villanueva de la Canada.
The town is already twinned with La Loupe in France, and Grossalmerode in Germany.
The Crow was unable to contact anyone from Royston and District Twinning Association this week.
The Libyan Embassy would not comment on the possibility of a Royston twinning.
What do you think of the proposal? Get in touch online at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to the Royston Crow, Thomas Morris, 6 Melbourn Street, Royston, Herts, SG8 7BX.