Wedding helps charity
THE sun shone brightly for a fundraising lunch at The Rectory in Ashwell on Sunday. It raised �4,500 for Relate North Herts and Stevenage and St Mary s Church in Ashwell. Over 100 people attended the event which was held in a marquee in the Rectory garde
THE sun shone brightly for a fundraising lunch at The Rectory in Ashwell on Sunday.
It raised �4,500 for Relate North Herts and Stevenage and St Mary's Church in Ashwell.
Over 100 people attended the event which was held in a marquee in the Rectory gardens where the day before the priest at St Mary's, the Rev Simon Chambers, had held his wedding reception after his marriage to his bride Jenny.
Among those at the lunch were the deputy mayor and mayoress of Stevenage, husband and wife team John and Joan Lloyd.
You may also want to watch:
Relate Trustee and St Mary's Church warden Andrew Gillborn said: "This was a splendid event with lots of fun and good food provided by the villagers. It was a beautiful sunny day and we raised a substantial amount of money for two very good causes."
The North Herts and Stevenage branch of Relate has seen a 10 per cent increase in demand for its services in recent months due to the recession. More families are having money worries and a recent survey showed that 25 per cent of families are arguing more.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 7 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 10 Vote will decide parental leave payment to key county councillors
Jill Adam from Relate said: "The fundraising lunch raised far more than we expected, everyone was very generous. Relate will use this funding to meet the increased demand for our services in the area. We want to help as many families as possible who are going through difficult times during the economic downturn."
Counselling appointments at Relate are available in the daytime, evenings and on Saturday mornings, in Letchworth GC, Stevenage, Hitchin and Royston. Appointments must be booked in advance by ringing 01462 679139 (Monday to Friday 9.15am-5pm).
Relate North Herts & Stevenage
A Company Limited by Guarantee
Registered in England 4403797
Grant Aided by North Herts District & Stevenage Borough Council Registered Charity No. 1093393