‘We have a huge store of very precious memories’ – Melbourn couple celebrate diamond wedding anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A Melbourn couple who have celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary put their longevity down to sticking by each other through times of crisis which ‘has made their marriage stronger’.
Mavis and George moved to the village five years after they tied the knot in Surrey in on June 8, 1957, they have two daughters and two grandsons, who they are ‘immensley proud of’.
The couple are active members of the village – Mrs Howard has previously served three terms as parish council chairman and is a charity trustee.
Mr Howard is chairman of the Supporters of All Saints, a very active member of Cambridge Sawston rotary club, ex-chairman of the Royston U3A and was also a fencing club founder.
Mrs Howard said: “We don’t pretend it has been roses all the way but we have stuck together and survived a number of family crises which have made us stronger.
You may also want to watch:
“One of the joys of being together for so long is that we have a huge store of shared memories, which are very precious to us.
“George is a wonderful character, upright and honest – I have never heard him say a bad word about anyone and I admire his integrity.
- 1 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 2 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 3 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 4 Stunning snap causes stir online
- 5 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 6 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 7 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 8 Huge splash of support for Meldreth diver Dan Goodfellow
- 9 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 10 Rail timetable change could see 'dramatic improvement' to village services
“However, he frequently drives me mad and I have threatened to kill him on a number of occasions!”
The Howards had a party last Saturday to celebrate with family and friends, where they proudly showed off their card from The Queen.