A 17th CENTURY fountain which was unearthed by archaeologists at Wimpole Hall was revealed to The Crow on Thursday. The fountain wall and the water inlet were unearthed after three weeks of digging in the gardens, which date back to 1693. Tessa Lovell,
A 17th CENTURY fountain which was unearthed by archaeologists at Wimpole Hall was revealed to The Crow on Thursday.
The fountain wall and the water inlet were unearthed after three weeks of digging in the gardens, which date back to 1693.
Tessa Lovell, visitor services manager, said: "We did have plans and drawings of the 17th century garden layout, and a magnetometry survey indicated that there was a good chance the fountain was in the position the archaeologists were going to dig.
"When they unearthed the fountain they were thrilled with the preservation of the brick work because it was still substantial and hadn't been greatly damaged.
"We have a great wealth of plans from the past and it's events like these that help us understand them and see if they are accurate."
- The event also saw Wimpole Hall playing its part in the current History Matters campaign, which is about raising awareness of history.
- 1 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 2 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 3 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 4 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 5 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 6 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 7 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 8 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 9 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 10 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
Volunteers were on duty in period costume to capture past days of the history of Wimpole Hall.
A campaign spokesman said: "Our goal is to build public support and interest in looking after our history and heritage - today and in the future.