Warning after chip pan fire in Royston

Fire services were called after the chip pan fire.

Fire services were called after the chip pan fire. - Credit: Archant

A watch commander at Royston Fire Station is warning people to take care when cooking with hot oil, after a chip pan fire caused smoke damage to a house in the town.

The homeowner saw the smoke coming out from a downstairs window of the house in Lankester Road and was able to exit the property and quickly call fire services.

He also managed to shut his kitchen door on the way past, which limited the smoke damage to the rest of his house.

Watch commander Rachael Broom said: “I would like to remind people that they should take care when cooking with hot oil as it sets alight easily, if you notice your oil starting to smoke then it is too hot – turn off the heat and leave it to cool. If your oil sets alight then do not take any risks, turn off the heat if it’s safe to do so, get out, stay out and call 999.”

If you would like the fire service to visit and check your smoke detectors, then call 01763 822100.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter