Warning after chip pan fire in Royston

PUBLISHED: 12:19 13 June 2016

Fire services were called after the chip pan fire.

Fire services were called after the chip pan fire.

Archant

A watch commander at Royston Fire Station is warning people to take care when cooking with hot oil, after a chip pan fire caused smoke damage to a house in the town.

The homeowner saw the smoke coming out from a downstairs window of the house in Lankester Road and was able to exit the property and quickly call fire services.

He also managed to shut his kitchen door on the way past, which limited the smoke damage to the rest of his house.

Watch commander Rachael Broom said: “I would like to remind people that they should take care when cooking with hot oil as it sets alight easily, if you notice your oil starting to smoke then it is too hot – turn off the heat and leave it to cool. If your oil sets alight then do not take any risks, turn off the heat if it’s safe to do so, get out, stay out and call 999.”

If you would like the fire service to visit and check your smoke detectors, then call 01763 822100.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Royston Crow. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Royston Crow