Volunteers hop on a bus to give advice
ROYSTON Volunteer Centre hopes the arrival of its Big Red Bus will inspire people to get involved in volunteering. The bus stopped in Royston on Wednesday, in the Market Square in the morning and then at the Coombes Community Centre. Centre manager Denise
ROYSTON Volunteer Centre hopes the arrival of its Big Red Bus will inspire people to get involved in volunteering.
The bus stopped in Royston on Wednesday, in the Market Square in the morning and then at the Coombes Community Centre.
Centre manager Denise Graham said: "Last time the bus came we got 72 new volunteering enquiries, of which 30 ended up in placements.
"It's a chance for people to come along and ask questions, and find out what's available."
You may also want to watch:
Volunteering opportunities include working with charities such as Mencap and Cancer Research, as well as organisations such as Shepreth Wildlife Park and the CAB.
"You can do as much or as little as you like really," said Denise.
- 1 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 8 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 9 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
- 10 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
"Placements can involve just a couple of days' work, collecting money for a charity, or require a longer commitment.
"Some people like to utilise the skills they have acquired through work, while others try something completely different."
A prize draw was running throughout the day, with the winner receiving a £50 voucher to spend at Royston electrical company Heasells.
Denise added that the centre can also provide help for anyone interested in recruiting volunteers.
"A lot of the smaller organisations don't know where to start," she said.
n For more details visit www.roystonvolunteer.org.uk or call 01763 243020