Volunteers give a much-needed makeover
VOLUNTEERS gave the Coombes Community Centre in Royston a much-needed makeover as part of Make a Difference Day. About 12 volunteers from the Royston and District Volunteer Centre and Royston Time Bank spent a day decorating the interior of the centre. Vo
VOLUNTEERS gave the Coombes Community Centre in Royston a much-needed makeover as part of Make a Difference Day.
About 12 volunteers from the Royston and District Volunteer Centre and Royston Time Bank spent a day decorating the interior of the centre.
Volunteer centre manager Denise Graham said: "We do something for Make a Difference day every year, and this year it's good that this will benefit lots of different groups who use the community centre."
The volunteers included the High Sheriff of Hertfordshire, Howard Guard. He said: "This centre is an excellent facility that serves the community. It's a pleasure to be here lending a hand."
You may also want to watch:
The volunteers had most of their paint and equipment donated by users of the Royston Freecycle website. This is a site where people can give away their unwanted possessions or request things which they need. Tesco in Royston also made a donation of paint.
Gillian Morland, administrative officer at the Community Centre, said: "We don't get any regular funding for redecoration so we rely on initiatives like this. The rooms haven't been decorated for a couple of years.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 5 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 6 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 7 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 8 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 9 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
- 10 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?