Villagers in Steeple Morden area blighted with rubbish step up for ‘60-minute makeover’ clean-up event
- Credit: Archant
People in the Steeple Morden parish who are fed up with rubbish lining the roads are to go out on their first litter picking event this weekend – and are encouraging others to join them.
The clean-up sessions will only last an hour and are spearheaded by Ginny Belson and other members of the parish council.
“We want to go out and see what we can do in 60 minutes and will take place on the second Saturday of every month – we hope people will come along and help us clean up our streets.”
“Through this action, we plan to show how big a problem litter is and to encourage others to dispose of it properly.”
South Cambs District Council has supported the initiative by providing bags, gloves and litter picking equipment.
You may also want to watch:
Steeple Morden Parish Council chairman John Brocklehurst said: “These quick and dirty monthly 60 minute makeover events will show others that we care about the future of our local environment and that we are not prepared to live, work and play in an area that is blighted by rubbish. The good thing about working together is it creates a sense of community and for some of our younger volunteers it is their first taste of active citizenship.”
The inaugural litter pick will take place in Odsey on Saturday at 2pm.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 4 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 5 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 6 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 9 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 10 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire
For more information contact Ginny on 07762 051766.