Villagers celebrate top prize
ORWELL residents are celebrating their village s success after it won the Cambridgeshire Village of the Year competition. The competition which was run by Cambridgeshire Action with Communities in Rural England (ACRE) recognised its outstanding aspects of
ORWELL residents are celebrating their village's success after it won the Cambridgeshire Village of the Year competition.
The competition which was run by Cambridgeshire Action with Communities in Rural England (ACRE) recognised its outstanding aspects of village life from care for older residents to the way business is supported in the community.
Their chapel orchard and community spirit was also acknowledged and meant that they received two additional awards - the Building Community Life Award and the Special Project Award.
Judges commented: "The enthusiasm and dedication of those involved in putting together material for the competition was really refreshing to see.
You may also want to watch:
"Hopefully their success in this year's competition will inspire them to keep up the good work."
The village will now represent the county in the Calor Village of the Year for England competition with the chance of winning a top prize of £7,000.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 6 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 7 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Hallmark Trophy decided in close-run contest at Heydon Grange Golf Club
- 10 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
Other winning communities included Haslingfield, who won the Young People Award and the Older People Award, and Little Paxton who won the Environment Award.