Villagers celebrate top prize
ORWELL residents are celebrating their village s success after it won the Cambridgeshire Village of the Year competition. The competition which was run by Cambridgeshire Action with Communities in Rural England (ACRE) recognised its outstanding aspects of
ORWELL residents are celebrating their village's success after it won the Cambridgeshire Village of the Year competition.
The competition which was run by Cambridgeshire Action with Communities in Rural England (ACRE) recognised its outstanding aspects of village life from care for older residents to the way business is supported in the community.
Their chapel orchard and community spirit was also acknowledged and meant that they received two additional awards - the Building Community Life Award and the Special Project Award.
Judges commented: "The enthusiasm and dedication of those involved in putting together material for the competition was really refreshing to see.
You may also want to watch:
"Hopefully their success in this year's competition will inspire them to keep up the good work."
The village will now represent the county in the Calor Village of the Year for England competition with the chance of winning a top prize of £7,000.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 5 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 8 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 9 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 10 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
Other winning communities included Haslingfield, who won the Young People Award and the Older People Award, and Little Paxton who won the Environment Award.