Village pub in Therfield slashes its prices for one day only to promote reduced VAT bid
- Credit: Archant
A pub slashed 25p off a pint of beer and offered discounted grub in support of the national tax equality day.
The discount day – held last Wednesday – is part of a campaign to support the lobbying of a reduced VAT rate from 20 per cent to five per cent for pubs and restaurants.
More than 15,000 hospitality venues took part, including the Fox and Duck pub on the village green in Therfield, near Royston.
Landlord Ivan Titmuss said: “I reduced my prices by 7.5 per cent to show customers what their bills would look like if the rate is reduced by the April 2015 budget. It took 25p off a pint.
“We are not looking for special treatment, but when you consider, specifically, supermarkets do not pay VAT on many items, yet your local pays 20 per cent VAT on everything, we are just asking for fairness.
You may also want to watch:
“This year, on average 31 pubs are closing every week. Most landlords blame their pub’s closure on the size of their quarterly VAT bill.”
He said the one-day promotion encouraged more punters to venture out of their homes and a petition has already gained more than 100 signatures.
- 1 What’s on at community cinema Royston Picture Palace this summer
- 2 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 5 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 6 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
- 7 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 8 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 9 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 10 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
“We took lots of money. When you tell people they are getting 25p off a pint of beer or £2 or £3 off their food it makes a big difference,” said Ivan.