VIDEO: Royston robber known as the ‘skull cracker’ sentenced to life in prison
- Credit: Archant
A 55-year-old man known as the skull cracker was sentenced to life in prison yesterday (Thursday) after pleading guilty to a robbery at a building society.
Michael Wheatley, who got his nickname by pistol whipping robbery victims, will serve a minumum of 10 years after admitted to one count of robbery, possession of a firearm or imitation firearm and being unlawfully at large during a hearing at Guildford Crown Court.
He had absconded from an open prison HMP Standford Hill in Kent in May where he was serving 11 life sentences for a string of robberies on banks and building societies in 2001 and 2002, including one in Royston.
Detective Chief Inspector Chris Raymer, of Surrey Police, said: “Wheatley is a dangerous individual and I welcome the lengthy sentence imposed at this hearing which reflects the seriousness of his crimes.
“This was clearly an extremely distressing incident for the members of staff in the building society who were threatened by Wheatley and I hope the sentence helps them to move forward.
You may also want to watch:
“Officers were at the scene within minutes of the emergency call and we worked closely with metropolitan and Kent Police colleagues, resulting in Wheatley being arrested within hours of the offence.”
- 1 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 7 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 8 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 9 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 Man seriously injured in three-car crash between Barley and Royston