UPDATE: Three arrested in connection with fatal Royston smash
THREE people have been arrested in connection with a fatal collision in Royston.
The crash in Melbourn Street, in which a man was killed and another injured, happened at just after 1am this morning, closing the road and the junction with the A10.
Two teenagers from Buntingford, aged 17 and 18, and a 17-year-old from Hertford have been arrested and questioned.
Hertfordshire Police will not comment on the crash and have referred the matter to the Independent Police Complaints Commission - who are investigating the incident.
“At this early stage it is understood that at around 1am officers signalled for the car to pull over, which it did not do, and that a short time later the car overturned on Melbourn Street,” a spokesman said.
You may also want to watch:
“The IPCC deployed investigators to begin collecting evidence and following an assessment it has been decided that an independent investigation will be conducted,”
Details are unclear at present but it is believed a car overturned and collided with a set of traffic lights.
- 1 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 4 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 5 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 8 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 9 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 10 Hunt the hearts at town trail to raise money for charity
Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service and The East of England Ambulance Service also attended the scene.
Gary Sanderson, ambulance service spokesman, said: “We were alerted to a report of a road collision in Royston at 1.10am this morning (Monday, June 20).”
“Ambulance crews from Letchworth, Royston and Stevenage attended the scene.
“Two patients were injured and were taken to Addenbrookes in Cambridge and the Lister Hospital in Stevenage.”