UPDATE: Three arrested in connection with fatal Royston smash
THREE people have been arrested in connection with a fatal collision in Royston.
The crash in Melbourn Street, in which a man was killed and another injured, happened at just after 1am this morning, closing the road and the junction with the A10.
Two teenagers from Buntingford, aged 17 and 18, and a 17-year-old from Hertford have been arrested and questioned.
Hertfordshire Police will not comment on the crash and have referred the matter to the Independent Police Complaints Commission - who are investigating the incident.
“At this early stage it is understood that at around 1am officers signalled for the car to pull over, which it did not do, and that a short time later the car overturned on Melbourn Street,” a spokesman said.
“The IPCC deployed investigators to begin collecting evidence and following an assessment it has been decided that an independent investigation will be conducted,”
Details are unclear at present but it is believed a car overturned and collided with a set of traffic lights.
- 1 New mayor elected in historic moment for Royston Town Council
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 3 Royston Methodists welcome leading figures to church
- 4 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 5 Fast and frenetic racing as Cycle Club Ashwell shine at grass track cycling meet
- 6 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 7 Children invited to take part in town trail for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 World IBD Day: Crohn's disease sufferer speaks out
- 9 Garden centre to host royal treat for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service and The East of England Ambulance Service also attended the scene.
Gary Sanderson, ambulance service spokesman, said: “We were alerted to a report of a road collision in Royston at 1.10am this morning (Monday, June 20).”
“Ambulance crews from Letchworth, Royston and Stevenage attended the scene.
“Two patients were injured and were taken to Addenbrookes in Cambridge and the Lister Hospital in Stevenage.”