UPDATE: Refuse collections suspended in Royston after heavy snow
- Credit: Archant
HEAVY snow has caused refuse collections in Royston to be suspended today.
Around three inches of snow fell during Sunday and overnight, meaning conditions on roads and pavements around the town are dangerous.
North Herts district council said it was unable to collect any bins in the district due to the weather.
The council post on their Twitter feed: “For those affected by today’s suspension of service, sorry for inconvenience. We’ll revisit on Saturday to collect.”
All the schools in Royston apart from Icknield Walk First School, which opened at 10am, are closed today, though most hope to re-open on Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
Melbourn Village College and Bassingbourn Village College have also taken the decision to remain closed today, along with Freman College in Buntingford.
Drivers are being advised to take extra care, and traffic is moving extremely slowly on the A10 between Royston and Cambridge, with queuing between Foxton and the M11 roundabout.
- 1 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 2 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 3 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 4 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 5 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 7 'Community campaigns are making an impact, so have your say on rail link'
- 8 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 9 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'
- 10 Man who climbed on Tesco freezer jailed for string of offences
On the trains, an accident which saw a car hit a bridge at Baldock means delays can be expected for commuters travelling to and from London King’s Cross, with services running up to 90 minutes late.
It’s not all misery though. Plenty of people have been out enjoying the snow, including some intrepid golfers at Malton Golf Club, who took to the fairways yesterday despite the conditions being less than ideal.