UPDATE: Refuse collections suspended in Royston after heavy snow
- Credit: Archant
HEAVY snow has caused refuse collections in Royston to be suspended today.
Around three inches of snow fell during Sunday and overnight, meaning conditions on roads and pavements around the town are dangerous.
North Herts district council said it was unable to collect any bins in the district due to the weather.
The council post on their Twitter feed: “For those affected by today’s suspension of service, sorry for inconvenience. We’ll revisit on Saturday to collect.”
All the schools in Royston apart from Icknield Walk First School, which opened at 10am, are closed today, though most hope to re-open on Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
Melbourn Village College and Bassingbourn Village College have also taken the decision to remain closed today, along with Freman College in Buntingford.
Drivers are being advised to take extra care, and traffic is moving extremely slowly on the A10 between Royston and Cambridge, with queuing between Foxton and the M11 roundabout.
- 1 Pupils celebrate all things Roald Dahl with 'Whoopsy Whiffling' day
- 2 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 3 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
- 4 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 5 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 6 Suspected arsonist held after health centre fire
- 7 Constituency boundary review - have you had your say?
- 8 Royston Museum finally set to reopen to families
- 9 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 10 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
On the trains, an accident which saw a car hit a bridge at Baldock means delays can be expected for commuters travelling to and from London King’s Cross, with services running up to 90 minutes late.
It’s not all misery though. Plenty of people have been out enjoying the snow, including some intrepid golfers at Malton Golf Club, who took to the fairways yesterday despite the conditions being less than ideal.